1.23.2009

When it RAINS, that's when I make a FLOOD

Well I guess our luck has run out (for now). While all the rest of the U.S. have been experiencing horrible weather, we've been enjoying temperatures in the 80s, all across SoCal.

I know your all secretly hating me.
[ducking all of the cyber daggers thrown my way]

We yesterday we had a slight drizzle, but today it rained for most of the day. Since rain normally makes for a lazy day (hence the reason for the DIY dinner) I attempted to gain a little ground on what I plan on doing for Valentine's Day. I practiced flooding some sugar cookies with simple designs to see if I liked the outcome.

So far, I'm doing ok.
RECIPE: Vanilla Sugar Cookies (from Confetti Cakes)
2 1/3 c + 2 tbsp A/P flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 c butter
1/2 c + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 egg, large
1 tsp Pure vanilla extract

Sift dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until combined. Add flour mixture in 2 batches. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap - refrigerate for 30 minutes.







Place ball between two pieces of parchment paper - roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Keeping on parchment paper, transfer to baking sheet - refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove from REFRIGERATOR, cut out shapes. Freeze cut-outs for 15 minutes prior to baking in 350 degree oven for 10 min.



Allow cookies to cool completely. Using pastry #1 or #2, and royal icing, pipe border around cookie. Using same royal icing (add water to make loose) "flood" cookie, now using a #3 or #4 tip. Use a toothpick to spread icing all the way to the border. Use a 'lighter' color royal icing when doing the "drop-in flooding" - darker color will bleed.

(so the ones that I sprinkled colored sugar on top of ... were still drying, that's why they look like CRAP!)

3 comments:

Chef E said...

I will eat the 'crap' cookies :)

They are beautiful and the first pic looks like true hearts floating in mid air, I feel a food poem coming over me...have you seen all of my blogs? I have one for the naughty in us, food poetry, and lots of goodies...I cannot even make pretty cookies...so I leave the pastry stuff to you girl!

Tangled Noodle said...

I've never been able to make royal icing that looks like this! Please post a recipe or instructions . . . pretty please and cherry on top?

Anonymous said...

These cookies are really gorgeous! Love the royal icing too!