1.15.2009

Taco Tuesdays...

... but Thursday's Taco post.

My daughter loves tacos. She could truly eat tacos every night of the week, if she had her choice (but she doesn't). What we do at our house is have tacos at least once a week. Children are very simple when it comes to tacos. They normally only want meat, cheese and lettuce. None of that fussy stuff like onions, sour cream, cilantro or tomatoes. Hell my kids don't even want taco sauce, they eat them with ketchup (yes I know... discussing - and I don't mean to offend any cultures here!).

My only suggestion when making tacos is this: DON'T BUY THE TACO SEASONING PACKETS. A few seasonings from your pantry will suffice. If you use these packets, your tacos will taste just like every other person who uses this stuff. What will make your tacos stand out? I never use the seasoning, and I always use ground beef.
My tacos always have lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, cheese, La Victoria "hot" taco sauce and sour cream. Sounds like a lot?.... so what! Make your own tacos.








I also try and do a little something different when it comes to how I cook our refried beans. Yes, you can simply warm them up and be done with it. I've found that if you add 2-3 tbsp of plain barbeque sauce (or whatever you have on-hand) it takes the "bite" out of the beans (I can thank my husband for turning me on to this). It gives them a slight "tinge" in flavor, and truly adds to them. We also add cheese.... but who doesn't?











Lastly when I cook my spanish rice (that I've never looked up a recipe for) I use the same method of cooking as indicated on the package, but I add tomato paste to the water to get the rice to turn that "color" of spanish rice. I also add onions and cilantro and a little bit of seasoning salt. All in all... I just make it up as I go along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your trick of adding barbeque sauce to the beans. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Pls check my new post http://fivestarfoodie.blogspot.com/2009/01/luck-and-resolutions-and-my-first-award.html to accept my appreciation of your blog. Thanks!

Chef E said...

I am right there with your daughter! I could eat them and salsa morning, noon, and bed time snack...yours do look really delicious too...