1.15.2009

Have fun at dinner hon!

So tonight I go back to school. Not only do I miss my daughter's Winter concert (in which she'll be playing the clarinet) I'm also going to miss this great dinner I'm preparing. You're probably wandering why I just don't wait until I'm home, during the evening, to make this meal. Well, because when you make up something in your mind, and you can't wait to do it, you tend to do it even if it means you don't get to enjoy it the way (of course) you intended to.

So on the menu tonight is bleu cheese stuffed - tender loin and sauteed mushrooms. Ummmm, ummm... I hope my husband enjoys the meal, I'm going to eat my dinner before I leave for class (at 4:30p) - make that 5p since my husband was a little late getting home from work.

You should probably know that most of the food that I make, I either see a recipe that I like to try (without writing down the steps) on the Food Network, or read about it in a book/magazine. Either way, I tend to "alter" the recipe to fit my needs (i.e. adding more butter, wine or cheese for my taste). Same is true for this recipe... only this time I didn't pay close attention on how to properly butterfly a tenderloin. This resulted in the loss of a lot of cheese off the top.... oh well, better luck next time.

Cheesy Loin


RECIPE:
2lb tenderloin
salt & pepper to taste
3-4 oz bleu cheese
2 tsp evoo

Butterfly beef, creating a kind of book fold (don't ask me how). Season both sides of meat with salt and pepper. Brown beef in oil, on high heat. Remove from pan and let rest for 15 minutes. Load cheese down the middle of the meat. Fold sides and tie together with butcher's twine (just ask your local butcher for some - usually free). Bake at 450 degrees for roughly 35 minutes (or until the meat reaches the internal temperature you want (mine was 130 degrees).

Drunken Mushrooms








RECIPE:
1 pkg sliced (or not) mushrooms
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp evoo
1 cup (your favorite) white wine

Melt butter and oil together. Add mushrooms. Season to taste. Sautee for 2-3 minutes. Add wine. Cook mushrooms until wine is completely gone.

1 comment:

Chef E said...

That really sounds good, and I love the cartoon! Do you have a good source for cartoons? I try and find free ones so I am 'borrowing' them :)