1.24.2009

Infamous ROYAL Icing

(ask, and ye shall receive)

This icing is what I used to icing and flood cookies. It's great, easy to make,
and keeps (refrigerated) for up to 5 days, if stored in an air tight container.

RECIPE: yields 4 1/2 cups
1/3 c pasteurized egg whites (3 eggs)
4 1/2 c + 1 tbsp confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice (plus more to taste), fresh lemon juice

Either in the bowl of an electric mixer (w/paddle attachment), or with a hand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time on med/low speed. Scrap bowl after each mixing. Add lemon juice and beat on med/high until stiff peaks form (7-9 minutes).

If icing is too thick to pipe out, add water 1 tsp at a time until it's the consistency that you want.

You have to use this immediately, or place in air tight container.

**Add food coloring (liquid or gels) to color the icing any color you want**

4 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

it cannot be this easy.....

Chef E said...

Mine would still not look as pretty as yours did...but I can dream!

Melissa said...

I'm so using this for my Valentines cookies!

I can't bake worth a crap, but they'll look so pretty no one will notice how awful they taste :D

Daily Spud said...

I use something like that to ice my Christmas cake, but, for some reason, I never even think of making icing at any other time of year!