2.09.2009

Mini Churros

So... I get tired of only being able to eat churros when I go to an amusement park, carnival or some other "event" where I have to spend lots of money just to get this tasty treat (same with those damn funnel cakes).

Well, thanks to the Food Network, and a true desire to have this treat, I decided to give it a whirl.

RECIPE:
1/2 c butter
1 c water
1/4 tsp salt
2 limes zested (I only used 1)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
vegetable oil
pastry bag
large star tip (I thought mine was large enough... but NOT!)


Melt butter, water, salt and zest of 1 lime in saucepan. Simmer, then whisk in
flour, slowly. Remove from heat and whisk until mixture forms a ball. Slowly add eggs, one at a time. Spoon batter into pastry bag, fitted with large star tip and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Heat oil to 350 degrees.








Pipe 3" long sections (or however long you want) into the oil. Fry for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway through. Drain on paper towels.
Add sugar and cinnamon to paper bag and when churros are slightly cooled, place in bag and shake. Serve warm.

4 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

The best churros I've had recently was at the Peninsula Hotel in Manila, Philippines over Christmas. They served it with a small pot of insanely thick, rich chocolate sauce for dipping. Thanks for this recipe - I may have to re-create that experience as Casa Noodle!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Those look great!

Kiezie said...

I'm with you on this one! I hate to spend the money because I always want one more bite!! This is wonderful!!

Daily Spud said...

Churros made at home? That's gotta be good...